Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thom Garzone

2011

Cries out to me addressed in a cache for the teacher I was,
or wasn't. I hasten to an academic metamorphosis when the year
dubs me knight for my bravery. Then I stride
about Boise soliciting information for insurance companies,
exchanging self-esteem for wages. Abberant beings
emerge functioning despite time's actions.
I mount precipices engulfed in fowl and foilage
and a voice answers my cry.
As the 10th anniversary of 9/11 comes
I prostrate my soul to the universe
of economic abyss and a region of my senses.

8 comments:

  1. from Maria Arana:

    After 9/11, it's all about being that brave to get through the day, especially if lost someone dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Don Kingfisher Campbell:

    One eloquent mind that harkens many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words of this poem strike at the heart of Americans and the way this country is going. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The language of this poem skates on the edge of brilliance as the narrator stretches himself into a place he doesn't want to be. I'd like it to go deeper into what he thinks of the abyss. One needs to know the history of the last ten years to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hauntingly personal piece but nonetheless rich with universal themes. Truly the last ten years have been a crucible of sorts for us all here in the USA. A knight, yes, but a bard as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting juxtaposition of daily business and the accompanying philosophical reflection: a walk through Boise with the bonus of a prostrate soul; information for insurance companies and considerations of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from Thaine Allison Jr.:

    love of profession, honorable profession of teaching
    desperation-pain, working for the insurance companies to survive
    hate of exchanging self-esteem for wages
    loneliness, guilt shame, frustration anger rage all are contained here. a poem of huge emotional range
    impregnated by the seeds of economic depression

    ReplyDelete