Monday, November 7, 2011

Sean Hill

One car broke down
Two second thoughts to enter this contest
Three relatives I live with relativity
Four deep breaths cleanse as I write this
Five weddings I will have went to celebrate companionship
Six regrets I let get the best when 6 is 6 too much
Seven times I've cried and let the in outside
Eight times I figured 8 to understand 7 and 9 better
Nine times 9 lives get lived in one in one day
Ten illusions we live like past mistakes don't make presents
Eleven months later one wonders whether this year was truly here

8 comments:

  1. from Maria Arana:

    Time does fly by in a wink. All the things we went through in the year and what do we end up feeling? That we haven't done much to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the year that seems kind of weird. It is passing to fast and everything is still trying to resolve itself. thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. from Don Kingfisher Campbell:

    So witty I wonder will this one win....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much in the poem that I identify with. No, not all of it, but the personal emotion in this poem is incredible. Maybe not so witty as striking at the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem is clever in using a counting concept to convey the passing of the year. I would like to see more of a balance of specific images and happenings with the abstract happenings. I didn't learn or feel much in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a complicated piece for me, I kept feeling the sense I was being taught at the expense of being intrusive. Still the chant like quality of this piece is undeniable. Line 8 is truly an enigma, as it confuses me to understand what 7 let in, and 9 is all about in one same thought.

    Intrigued, yet still a piece most ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems most original to me and best constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. from Thaine Allison Jr.:

    frustration anger and fear dominate this poem
    weddings of love tears of desperation and pain
    a theme of loss for the year

    ReplyDelete